Hydration. What is that? What is that about? Well, its not about drinking juice or gatorade – its about water!
Did you know that your body uses water in all of its cells? All your organs and tissues rely on water to function. And because our bodies use water in all of its functions, we need to replace the water that we lose. Water is so important for our body! Why? Well for a number of reasons:
- Moistens tissues (such as the ones in your mouth, eyes and nose). Ever notice that sometimes your eyes just get so dry? No matter how much you blink your eyes feel like sand paper…your probably dehydrated a bit. Oh heres another – stick out your tongue. Does it have a white layer on it? Your dehydrated! You need to get your fill of water.
- Keeping the body hydrated helps the heart more easily pump blood through the blood vessels to the muscles. If you’re well hydrated, your heart doesn’t hafta work so hard to pump blood to the body. Dehydration can lead to something as simple as a headache or as life threatening as a heat stroke.
- The bowels need water to function correctly. If you are dehydrated, digestive problems and, ahem, constipation can become an issue. Dehydration can also lead to an overly acidic stomach which therefore causes heartburn and can make you develop stomach ulcers.
- Prevent Cancer. Yeah. I’ve read in a couple of places that say staying hydrated can reduce risk of colon cancer by 45%, bladder cancer by 50%, and possibly reduce breast cancer risk as well. Make of that information what you will…
- Helps with weight loss. I know you probably are thinking this is a bunch of nonsense – but research is research. Many places I researched said the same thing – also my nutritionist said this too. Think of it this way – every time you are hungry, drink an 8 oz glass of water. Wait 20 mins and if after that you are still hungry than eat! Every time you want to take a snack? Drink water. Even before you eat dinner, drink a full glass of water. You will be so full from the water – you eat less. My mothers dietician told her to drink half her weight in water. We’ll use me as an example. I weigh 250 so I should be drinking about 125 ozs of water per day. Thats to help with weight loss.
There are a few reasons, but there are so many more! But I won’t bore you with all those thoughts and reasons. Here are some tips on how to get on the “Water wagon” and drink water instead of your soda or apple juice.
1. Just drink it. Don’t overthink it and just do it. Your mouth will get used to the taste and after a while you won’t even miss it! This is your best bet and what worked for me.
2. Fruit infused water. They sell fruit infusers but you can find many recipes online for yummy water. This is your healthiest water additive. You don’t even need to follow those recipes – make it your own! But know that this type of water needs to be refrigerated due to the fruit that’s added.
3. Stevia drops. One or two drops in your water? 👍🏽👍🏽 perfect. If you feel like you need some taste or something to you water and don’t like the fruit infused water – this is the next best choice.
4. Peppermint drops in your water. Take a bottle of water and drop 2-3 drops and it’s quite refreshing. Takes a little to get used to but it’s good. You can get these from health food store – where you might find different flavors.
5. Next is MIO, a water enhancer. One or two drops in a bottle of water should be fine. MIO is the “healthier” of this and the next option because it is made from sucralose. While that’s still made from chemicals and nasty stuff it’s the best of the worst options
6. Crystal light. Well crystal light watered down. If it calls for 2 packets of mix, only put 1 or half of 1. This will taste nasty to you at first but as w option number one you just hafta get used to it.
If I can think of more – I’ll share. But guys, drink your water. Get hydrated. Yes, gatorade and other sports drinks can help and in fact, some cases, do help but water is always and will always be the best.
Starting weight: 315
Current weight: 249
Goal weight: 200 – I’m reaching for it but honestly I’ll be happy with anything below 230
Dietary plans: counting “colories” and low carb; portion control; not eating after dinner, working out on an empty stomach
Workout plan: walking, exercise bicycle, Chalean Extreme, yoga, turbo fire
Reason for: to be healthy and happy and there for my kids